UTV Racing Association Forum Index UTV Racing Association
Extreme UTV Racing Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

have u blown your rzr rear end?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> Best in the Desert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEROME #1913

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: have u blown your rzr rear end? Reply with quote

good news, my engine sponsor hpd and the stripping shop fab are working on a reinforced rear end casting, which will use your orginal ring and pinion and bearings, what i'm told is along the lines of what holtz's was using at the last race, the part will be for sale to everyone, hopefully this will take some of the expense out of desert racing, i sure need one i'm on my 4th, with price of a new one over $ 1000, i can't wait to test, i will keep you informed. jerome #1913
bajaxp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Issue Reply with quote

This issue isn't unique to UTV's. Happens a lot on transaxles if you are not careful.

This is from the Mendeola Transaxle website:

Welcome : Guest HOME | CONTINGENCY | MEMBER LOGIN | POLICY | CART

Probably Mike Mendeola's favorite part of the website, Mike's Gripes, showcases different subjects regarding transaxles. From false theories to your questions, Mike will set the record straight. Drop him an email with any questions or comments you have at mike@mendeolatransaxles.com.

2007-11-06 14:50:44 Jumping from dune to dune without exploding your transaxle.

Jumping from dune to dune can be the easiest thing you’ve ever done, or the most expensive! The secret to doing this correctly is all in the landing.
You must do one of two things.
Number 1: Just before landing you must match rear wheel speed with vehicle speed by throttle manipulation. This is a skill that must be learned.
Number 2: Just before landing push in the clutch. By doing this you have completely disconnected the powertrain from the chassis. This will eliminate 99% of maincase and ring & pinion failures.
By performing either one of these actions the dreaded “power-load reversal” can be eliminated. In mechanical jargon, a power load reversal is one in which ALL driving members become driven members, instantly! The pinion no longer drives the ring gear. The ring gear drives the pinion. Bang-catatrophic failure.
It goes somethin’ like this:
1. You launch your new car from the first dune.YEEEE HAAAA!!
2. While in the air you lift off the throttle so the motor doesn’t wallow itself (this is what you’ve always been told to do, and its correct).
3. By lifting off the throttle the motor goes into immediate compression braking (slowing down).
4. The only resistance to vehicle motion while in the air, is the air! The buggy gains speed, albeit slowly.
5. Just before you land on the second dune you have a car doing 50 mph and rear wheels doing 10 mph (remember compression braking).
6. Now the landing. As soon as the rear wheels contact the ground the ring gear does everything it can to drive the coast side of the pinion. The rear wheels are directly connected to the ring gear. The clutch is still out and the transaxle is in gear. You’ve initiated a power load reversal. If the ring & pinion doesn’t explode immediately, it will. Remember, you’ve got the rest of the weekend.

OR

Push the clutch in! By performing this action it divorces the powertrain from the chassis. Let the suspension and brakes do their job. Let these components absorb the impact not the gearbox. Once you’ve gotten the car under control let the clutch out.
If jumping from dune to dune is your thing go ahead theres nothing wrong with that. Just do it the proper way. You’ll spend a lot less money fixin things and have more fun dunning
JEROME #1913

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to my wife i'm a horrible driver, now your post made it offical, i was hopeing its was just weak rear diff's not bad driving! Sad looking forward to racing with you again soon,
stripping shop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Issue Reply with quote

bajaxp wrote:
This issue isn't unique to UTV's. Happens a lot on transaxles if you are not careful.

This is from the Mendeola Transaxle website:

Welcome : Guest HOME | CONTINGENCY | MEMBER LOGIN | POLICY | CART

Probably Mike Mendeola's favorite part of the website, Mike's Gripes, showcases different subjects regarding transaxles. From false theories to your questions, Mike will set the record straight. Drop him an email with any questions or comments you have at mike@mendeolatransaxles.com.

2007-11-06 14:50:44 Jumping from dune to dune without exploding your transaxle.

Jumping from dune to dune can be the easiest thing you’ve ever done, or the most expensive! The secret to doing this correctly is all in the landing.
You must do one of two things.
Number 1: Just before landing you must match rear wheel speed with vehicle speed by throttle manipulation. This is a skill that must be learned.
Number 2: Just before landing push in the clutch. By doing this you have completely disconnected the powertrain from the chassis. This will eliminate 99% of maincase and ring & pinion failures.
By performing either one of these actions the dreaded “power-load reversal” can be eliminated. In mechanical jargon, a power load reversal is one in which ALL driving members become driven members, instantly! The pinion no longer drives the ring gear. The ring gear drives the pinion. Bang-catatrophic failure.
It goes somethin’ like this:
1. You launch your new car from the first dune.YEEEE HAAAA!!
2. While in the air you lift off the throttle so the motor doesn’t wallow itself (this is what you’ve always been told to do, and its correct).
3. By lifting off the throttle the motor goes into immediate compression braking (slowing down).
4. The only resistance to vehicle motion while in the air, is the air! The buggy gains speed, albeit slowly.
5. Just before you land on the second dune you have a car doing 50 mph and rear wheels doing 10 mph (remember compression braking).
6. Now the landing. As soon as the rear wheels contact the ground the ring gear does everything it can to drive the coast side of the pinion. The rear wheels are directly connected to the ring gear. The clutch is still out and the transaxle is in gear. You’ve initiated a power load reversal. If the ring & pinion doesn’t explode immediately, it will. Remember, you’ve got the rest of the weekend.

OR

Push the clutch in! By performing this action it divorces the powertrain from the chassis. Let the suspension and brakes do their job. Let these components absorb the impact not the gearbox. Once you’ve gotten the car under control let the clutch out.
If jumping from dune to dune is your thing go ahead theres nothing wrong with that. Just do it the proper way. You’ll spend a lot less money fixin things and have more fun dunning
then why did holtz have a billet side cover for his rearend, why does mendeola make 3 bigger tranny then ther 2d that was suppose to be for v8 the only tranny that takes all the abuse is there HD but it steals alot of power because they put the biggest and strongest part in there and i believe they charge some were around $25,000 for
RZRS EDGE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya have heard a lot of the rear diff. failure. Are the cases good for the S as well. For the first RZRS out there no failure yet, but sure had some other failures we are working on. But if the diffs are the same as thr RZR then Im sure we will be needing some.
BIG GUY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the guys that are having the most trouble are the guys that have the most weight and guys that have a lot of power. I talked to Daryl from hpd and they are real close to having there new side casting ready to go they are going to offer a whole kit witch will include a new pinion nut and a socket to remove the old nut. Ive had mine apart and I was impressed with the size of the ring and pinion I think they are plenty strong once we get the case issue figuared out. I know that there are also a few guys out there working on a billet case also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> Best in the Desert All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: