UTV Racing Association Forum Index UTV Racing Association
Extreme UTV Racing Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluewater GP Results and Stories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> Best in the Desert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rush Rhino

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Bluewater GP Results and Stories Reply with quote

Well the first thing I want to say is I hope that Jerome and his co rider are okay. Second thing is I want to give a big thanks to Matt from Desert Toyz for co-riding with me yesterday. I thought the car was in good shape for this race(thats what I get for thinking). After the cluster in the start, the car started popping real bad and continued this throughout the race. I was just trying to take it easy to finish the race but it still seemed to have gremilins. After the second lap the car started handling really bad. At the pit before lap 3 they saided I had a flat tire and a broken rear axle. Well they changed the rear tire and I put in 4wd. Off again with the car popping we seemed to do okay for about a half lap then I started feeling something under the car near my foot slapping the floor. Turns out the front diff had broken the mounts from the frame. After the start of the fourth lap I had the car in diff lock just to keep it on the course. Then the steering got real hard about a third way into the 5th lap and as we tried to climb the second to last hill off the asphalt we only had one wheel drive (with the front diff broken we lost the front drive shaft) and got stuck at the top. I tried two more times to make it with no luck. At this point we were blocking a series of cars and backed out of the way to let everyone by. We tried to get up one more time but got stuck at the bottom which ended our race. I want to again thank Matt for his direction in the course. Without him I would have blown the course in the dust. Congrats to everyone who finished. The course was rough as everyone knows so it was well earned. See everyone at the next one
David
Cory S
Associaton Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved post down

Last edited by Cory S on Fri May 15, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 8 times in total
RZRS EDGE

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great race. All the hard work our team put in after braking a ball joint in the morning race to see how the car was going to do and to get our team some drive time and co drive time THANK YOU for getting us back out for the afternoon race. Jagged X once again thanks for the HELP... And what a sweet RZRS you have built. In the first turn we saw the 1913 take a hard roll Jerome and co drive I hope you are all ok, we also caught on our on board cam. will edit and post soon. To all teams that finished congrats.
See you all at the long way
JEROME #1913

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off i want to thank god for keeping me and craig safe, i also want to thank, my wife, the stripping shop and jagged x for running over to help me and craig after the crash, we both have sore necks, i would love to see the in car camera video of the crash, if you have any pics or videos of crash please post , i would like to see how i got pushed sideways on a straight away, Wink thanks again jerome 1913
JEROME #1913

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also want to thank brandon and chad # 1919 jagged x car for stopping during the open race to pull me back to the pits, when my car decided it didn't want to run anymore after going thru the water, i think the 1919 car is best looking razor-s i ever seen, thanks again brandon for stopping to help me out, it means alot to me thanks jerome 1913 Very Happy
BIG GUY

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys Im not new to this forum Ive been following your guys stories for over a year now and now I finally get to tell one of my own. My name is Jeff and my co driver is my son Jeffrey we were in the 1929 RZR. After about a year and a half of building our own RZR in the garage we finally got to put her too the test. In the morning race we got a decent start I think we were 5th or 6th off the line we were tucked in close behind the 1928 rhino and at about mile 3 I checked my mirror to be sure we had cleared the quad we were passing and with visability of about 5ft we didnt realize the rhino was stopped and we slammed into the back of them doing about 30mph. I thought our day was over luckily my bumper protected the radiator. Other then cosmetic damage the only other thing that was damaged was the radiator hose witch we were able to cut short and slip it back on. We put some water in the radiator and were able to complete 2 laps. The afternoon race we were 9th off the line and I saw the 1913 rzr cartwheeling out of the corner of my eye, I hope you guys are all right, needless to say the course was quite a bit different from the morning race. I felt I was beating the crap out of our car so I backed out of it and let a few guys pass we had to pit 3 times to make some shock adjustments witch really helped. The last 3 laps were our fastest and we were gaining on 3rd but ran out of laps and finished 4th. We had a great weekend and learned a lot. All the teams we met were really nice, I want too thank Cory again for letting us borrow a radio. We are looking forward too our next race, good luck to everybody at Vegas to Reno.
jaggedx

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BW grand prix is a great race and this one was no different. Congrats to everyone who finished, Jerome, glad you guys were okay the pictures that the photographer got were amazing. Rito, good job man the car held up great, your work saved those guys from really getting hurt. good job! Jerome, My friend, you need a lucky rabbit's foot or somthing, your luck has got to change.Hang in there, Good karma's coming!

As for The Jagged X/ Polaris Racing 1919... What can I say? We did not finish the car in time to get any testing in at all. We got behind schedule and just barely got it to the race. Our bad! The car turned out great, better than we could have ever hoped. In the morning race Brandon ran two lapw just to feel things out and everything seemed pretty tight and good. In the big race Brandon got a pretty good hole shot from the far outside and came out around 6th or so. The car was working perfectly for the first 5 or so miles but sudenly it went down on power and the motor started smoking really bad. Trackside diagnosis was not good but after adding a little oil and using a great deal of valuble time it seemed that the motor may not have been hurt. To avoid the possibility of an engine disaster we made the team decision to wait it out and get our finish points. We will be better prepared for V2R. again congrats to everyone and we will see you all in Vegas.

BS JX
Mike L

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, i've uploaded a ton of photos to my website from the race this weekend. Feel free to check them out... There are two galleries, one of my car and a second of all the other cars.
[url]
http://lashermotorsports.com/gallery-2/

I had a blast at the race this weekend, i will have my recap of events up tomorrow,

Congrats to the Custom Creations team on their first win.

#1924 Kawasaki Teryx
www.lashermotorsports.com
BigDog_Arizona

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some realy great shots

great job and thanks for posting them.
Cory S
Associaton Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This race was another long day, late night grind to get our race vehicles ready. Desert Toyz race team's plan was to race the Rhino, RZR-S, and my Honda 450r Quad. The RZR-S would be driven by Mike Cook with Bill Fain navigating. The quad would enter the expert class with Matt Seay and myself riding. For my wifeís motherís day gift, I switched it up, and she drove the Desert Toyz Rhino and I was the navigator. This would be the second time she has driven the Rhino, and the first time I have navigated with her. Let me tell you my wife is an awesome driver!! I was sooo impressed. When she gets behind the wheel with the helmet on she is a fierce competitor! So my race started the weekend before at the Lucas Off Road Race Series at Speedworld. (For those of you who do not know I work for LOORS as an Official, I tech inspect UTV's, Trophy Karts and pretty much anything else having to do with the event...even dealing with BEES) My Race Rhino was on display at the PCI Trailer on vendor row. On Friday Dan Kelly blew up his Teyrx during qualifying. He asked if he could use my Rhino for the race. I said sure. I was so busy working I forgot to tell him I had a manual switch for the radiator fan. The engine got hot and hurt the head gasket. So of course I had to add r/r my engine and changing out the head gasket to the already long list of things to do. The week before the race is all just a blur now. Going to bed at 3 or 4am and waking up at 6am is all I really remember. So Thursday I get like one hour of sleep and it's off to Parker AZ. Thank the Lord it is only a 2.5 hour drive! We arrived at 12:30pm set up the trailers and teched UTV's all day. I finished up one of the last teams just in time to run to the drivers meeting. I feel asleep in the meeting and woke up right the end. Back to the trailer to finish the race prep. I went to bed around 2am and back up at 5am to set up our pit down at the Colorado River. My first race of the day was the Unclassified race. The plan was for me to drive and Matt aka "Buttons" to ride with me. My Daughter Hailey had soccer game on Saturday morning so Jeanette was driving to Parker after the game. Our one lap was going great until 2 miles from the finish when I stuffed it into a hole and broke a tie rod end. Of course I had a spare so I changed it out and we drove to the finish. As soon as we parked in the pit I inspected the front end and found that I had also bent a knuckle, cracked an upper a-arm. I made a gusset for the a-arm and welded it with Jagged X's welder. Now it was time for my Quad race. Buttons started and rode lap1 and 2 on lap 2 he blew a turn in the dust and got stuck in a raveen. He had to hike to find a BITD official to help pull the Quad out. We were down 25 minutes when he gave the Quad to me. I left the pit area feeling like Wayne Matlock on a mission to win the race. My first lap I felt great but when I went thru the water crossing I went way to fast and got mud on the inside and outside of my face shield. I could not see!! At one point I launched off a 35ft drop off in the dust. Holy cow!! I stopped in the pit to get my face shield cleaned but they only got the outside. I really didn't matter, because by mile 3 I was a noodle anyways. I could barley hang on the the bars under full acceleration. At one point I hit a series of woops and completely lost he bars only hanging on with my legs! So I pretty much milked it the second lap. Then turned it over to Buttons he did 2 more laps and we finished somewhere close to last. I was just happy to have not fallen off! I was so tired after the Quad race that I know energy to finish fixing my Rhino. My long time friend Greg aka "gravy" Crowther took charge and got the Rhino race ready for me. My wife showed up with the kids and the race nanny. We suited up, soaked ourselves with water and headed for the start. This was only the second time Jeanette had driven the race Rhino and she was a bit nervous, but when the green flag dropped all the nervousness was gone. The start was a land rush style, (16 teams in one line all starting at the same time) and Jeanette was not intimated by all the bumping going on. She held her line and by the second turn we dropped into and single file line in 7th position.
Lap 1 Jeanette drove a little slow so she could learn the track. Lap 2 she really picked up the pace and on lap 3 she was wide open. Unfortunately our Rhino started getting hot and spiting coolant. I told Jeanette about the problem and that we would have to stop in the pit. She was not happy. When we got to the pit it was like NASCAR. There were 6 or 7 people waiting for us with water, towels and coolant. We were in and out in just a few minutes. Lap 4 and 5 I made Jeanette slow down in some areas to allow the Rhino to cool down. On lap 5 the 1912 passed us and then the leader 1931. Jeanette got all fired up she does not like to be passed. I was glad that the leader passed us, that meant we did not have to race the last lap. I don't know if "Old Yeller" had one more lap in her, she had been running at 220 to 240 water temp and was still spiting coolant. Oh yea I forgot to tell you about the house! About half way around the track was an abandon house that we had to race through. For some reason Jeanette could not find a way through the house without hitting it! In her defense the concrete was way wet and muddy making it feel like ice. One lap she slid and hit the house so hard I thought it was going to fall down on us!! We ended up finishing the race in 7th position and were very happy about that. This track was very rough and with only 8" of wheel travel, an overheating Rhino and uncontrollable 4 wheel steering (thatís another story) we were very happy to finish!
Thank you to all the other teams that showed up to make this a great race. Thank you to my sponsors; Desert Toyz, Yamaha, Elka shocks, Maxxis tires, Black Rhino, OMF wheels, Web Cam, PCI radios, Ride-on tire balancer/sealant, Auto Style, Sudco and our newest sponsor Lucas Oil. See ya at the grand daddy, Vegas to Reno 1000 miles Sincerely Cory S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UTV Racing Association Forum Index -> Best in the Desert All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: